At University of Massachusetts-Amherst, we are interested in developing a complete system for the teaching of P131 and P132: a two-semester introductory physics course for life science students (IPLS). Our complete system involves:
- A research-based active-learning experience for both semesters:
- A Team-Based Learning environment for P131
- A Peer-Instruction based lecture hall for P132
- Careful consideration of topics tailored to the needs of our students
- Structural supports including well trained graduate and undergraduate TAs in the classroom
You can see more about each course under the courses tab at the top of the page.
Meet The Team:
A third-year Ph.D. at UMass Amherst who works with the ATLAS group. He is currently conducting an independent study project on using natural language processing to parse survey data about how students make connections across the introductory life-science sequence.
Chasya Church – B.S. 2017
Jake Shechter – Ph.D. 2020
Emily Hansen – B.S. 2020