Thinking about what it means to be a Ph.D. student
A one hour session at the beginning of the second day of orientation.
- Get participants to stop and think about what it means to be a graduate student in physics
- “Why are you here in graduate school?”
- “What do you want to get out of this experience of pursuing a Ph.D.?”
- Provide an opportunity to get concerns addressed
- Hopes and fears activity:
- Why did you come to grad school?
- What do you hope to get out of the Ph.D. experience?
- What is one thing you are uncertain or anxious about?
SAVE THESE, they can provide a great reflection source at a later date!
- Thinking about what it means to be a graduate student using a worksheet based upon one developed by Carmel:
- Things graduate students do.
- Groups to whom graduate students have responsibilities.
- Characteristics/attributes of successful graduate students.
Do individually, synthesize lists with a partner, and then as a class
Justin Carmel. “GTA Self Image.” presented at the CSC TA Workshop, Atlanta, GA, June 1, 2017. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCuZtL6FXxk